Several weeks ago I purchased this 1964 Singer Letter A sewing machine head. It was part of a collection that a former Singer employee owned. A friend of mine bought the collection and I was able to make a deal on this spectacular machine.
Singer's first attempt at making a sewing machine for home/domestic use was is known as the Singer Turtle Back sewing machine. It was produced from 1856-1859. The successor to the Turtle Back was the The Singer Letter A. The Letter A was manufactured appoximately from 1859 to 1865. It featured a transverse shuttle and had a longer arm than the Turtleback which provided more working area for the user. It appears that the machines only came in a treadle configuration in which a few table options were available. Common machines came in a table with a cast iron table top and higher end machines came in a drop top table with a wood top where the lid covering the machine would fold down into a larger working area to sew on. There is one other style of table that I've seen where the table looks like an actual table (with wood legs). It did have original Singer style treadle pedal, so I beleive it is original but I'm not certain.
My machine is in remarkable condition and is adorned with mother of pearl diamonds and hand decorated gilding. Given it's condition it amazes me that this machine is 162 years old and was built the year before the civil war ended!! Even though it's beautiful, it was not complete and was missing it's original table, takeup lever and presser foot springs, shuttle/bobbin, stitch length adjustment screw, belt guard, and bobbin winder assembly. My goal is to make the machine complete and able to sew again. So, I am currently on the hunt for an original table. I've re-created the missing springs and stitch length adjustment screw (see pics below). I do have a line on a belt guard and hope to recieve that soon. I have found two original bobbins but I'm still searching for an original shuttle and a bobbin winder assembly. So......if you know where I can find an original table or any of the parts I need please leave a comment below!
I have done some cleaning of the machine but tried to keep it sympathetic. I purposely didn't over polish anything as I wanted it to look clean....but old. Below are some pictures of the machine the way I received it.
Below are pictures that were taken after I cleaned the machine, created new springs, and created a new stitch length adjustment screw. Enjoy!





































Comments
Post a Comment